WHAT MAKES ACNE WORSE?
- In women, the hormonal changes around the monthly period may cause a flare-up of spots.
- Picking and squeezing the spots may cause further inflammation and scarring.
- Sweating heavily or humid conditions may make acne worse. For example, doing regular hot work in kitchens. The extra sweat possibly contributes to blocking pores.
- Diets high in sugar and milk products may make acne worse.
- Bad foods: Chocolate, junk food, processed food, meats etc have been commonly linked with acne.
- Dirty and oily skin: Dirt and unhealthy skin can aggravate acne by clogging your skin pores.
- Bacteria:Propioni-bacterium acnes, a bacterium, reside naturally on the skin and uses sebum as a growth nutrient. They multiply when there is excess sebum production (oily skin) seen during puberty and in those with acne.
TYPES OF ACNE
- Acne Vulgaris:Also Called as Simple Acne.Characterized by areas on skin with seborrhea (scaly red skin), comedones (blackheads and whiteheads), papules (pinheads), pustules (pimples), nodules (large papules) and possibly scarring.
- Acne Rosacea:Chronic condition characterized by facial erythema (redness) and sometimes pimples.
- Acne Conglobata: Severe form of acne characterized by burrowing and interconnecting abscesses and irregular scars
- Cystic Acne: Cysts are more severe form of nodules, filled with pus, having a diameter of 5mm or more.
- Pustular Acne: They appear as red inflammations with yellow or white centers. They are actually the inflamed versions of whiteheads and range from small to fairly large size.
SKINCARE FOR PEOPLE WITH ACNE
- Do not wash more than normal. Twice a day is normal for most people. Use a mild soap and lukewarm water. (Very hot or cold water may worsen acne.) Do not scrub hard when washing acne-affected skin.
- You cannot clean off blackheads. The black tip of a blackhead is actually melanin (skin pigment) and cannot be removed by cleaning or scrubbing.
- Avoid Sunlight.
- Foods which are raw and in their natural states– a predominately raw food diet – raw fruits, raw veggies, raw nuts (not roasted) and raw seeds. Those are the most important foods which will help you get rid of the toxins and acne quick.
Name – Pooja (Name Changed) Female, 21yrs, Student, Case no – xx54
Pooja has been suffering from pimples/acne since the past 4yrs. She has been on several medication and the complaints have been relapsing ever since then. She only had momentary relief but no cure.
She has been suffering from pustular acne a type of acne, occurring frequently on face, cheeks and chin as well. White headed small papules eruptions later maturing to form pustules. On examination it was painful to touch. Red in Colour and very hard on palpation. She had a very characteristic aggravating factor, her acne used to increase in size and number few days before the onset of menses. Here in Victory Homoeo Speciality clinic we not only gave importance to the acne she suffered from physically but try to find out why should she suffer from acne as not all suffer from it?
Our Specialized team of doctors address the complaint differently i.e, Constitutionally – After taking the acne symptoms, we try find out the aggravating and ameliorating factors, for Pooja it was Having sweets and milk that aggravated her acne. Then we try to find out water intake and the type of diet she takes. As Pooja is a student, she generally used to have more of Junk food and food which is not fresh but processed. She even has irregular bowel habits which intern increases risk of acne as the toxins in the body are not thrown out daily. Then on further questioning she told us that she can’t tolerate the cold weather and she says on getting cold gets irritable, Sensitive in nature, very organised in her working pattern and time conscious and in case she can’t cope up her work, she gets tensed and then skips her meals, this intern causes gastrointestinal trouble and less of vitamins in body to perform her work and this leads in aggravating acne. So by this way we need to know Pooja well before we try to understand her acne. As each and everyone of us suffer with this acne differently. And in this case we see how a student leads a life and gets this acne, similarly occupation and life style plays a very important role.
Now after administering her Medicines and giving her tips how well she could manage her daily routine. Pooja after the 1st course of medicine for 1.5mnths felt her acne improved more than 60-70% and then now its been 4mnths she is completely well. Her frequent relapsing of her acne has stopped.