Osteoporosis is a condition characterized by a decrease in the density of bone, decreasing its strength and resulting in fragile bones. Osteoporosis literally leads to abnormally porous bone that is compressible, like a sponge. This disorder of the skeleton weakens the bone and results in frequent fractures (breaks) in the bones. Osteopenia is a condition of bone that is slightly less dense than normal bone but not to the degree of bone in osteoporosis.
Normal Bone Osteoporotic Bone
Primary Osteoporosis Is mainly due to Old age and can be seen in women post-menopausal.
- Genetic – Osteogenesis imperfect, Marfan’s Syndrome
- Nutritional – Calcium, Protein Deficiency& Scurvy
- Endocrine – Cushing’s Syndrome, Thyrotoxicosis, Diabetes
- Rheumatoid Arthritis & Alcoholism
- Age – Old age
- Sex – More in females
- Hereditary – +ve Family History
- Decrease Weight for Height
- Sedentary Lifestyle
- Defective Mineral metabolism
- Decrease Calcium
- Increase Caffeine
- Increase Alcohol
- Decrease protein
The underlying mechanism in all cases of osteoporosis is an imbalance between bone resorption and bone formation.Bone is resorbed by osteoclast cells (which derive from the bone marrow), after which new bone is deposited by osteoblast cells.
Signs and Symptoms
- Pain especially over Skeleton <Jerking, Flexing Spine
- Multiple fractures after falls, Lifting heavy weight
- Fracture pain radiates anteriorly along Nerve root distribution <Movement
- Spine short d/t Collapse of vertebrae and Percussion induces pain
- Gross Kyphosis, Shrunken Thoracic Cage
- Prescribing essential Biochemic remedies (Minerals) which prevent further disc degeneration and bone damage. Biochemic medicines are made from Calcium, Magnesium etc.
- Homoeopathy is a valuable alternative therapy and can be taken indefinitely without any side effects.
- Prime motive here is to relieve the pain, more to do with palliation and get the life going on, since there are irreversible changes that have taken place complete cure here is not possible.
- Our medicines help to heal and strengthen the bones, cartilages, ligaments and joints.
- Prevent the bone from further degeneration.